Though February is American Heart Month, it is important to take care of our hearts all year long. We all know that exercise and healthy food are important factors in improving heart function. That is just the beginning of what we need to know about the amazing machine that is the heart. Here are 7 fun facts about hearts.
1. You may know that hearts are about the size of two fists pressed together, but did you know the human heart weighs less than 1 pound? The average weight is about 10 ounces, but men’s hearts on average weigh 2 ounces more than women’s hearts.
2. Without any help from us, our hearts beat on all day and night. Our hearts beat about 100,000 beats per day. Women’s hearts beat an average of 8 beats more per minute than men’s.
3. A heart pumps about 4 tablespoons of blood per beat, which adds up to about 2000 gallons per day.
4. Your body has about 60,000 miles of blood vessels that help the heart oxygenate your body. That means, laid end-to-end, they would wrap around the world more than twice.
5. From tiny insects to large mammals, most creatures have hearts. Whales have the largest hearts of any mammals and the fairy fly, a type of wasp, has the smallest heart of all living creatures. Cephalopods such as octopuses and squids have three hearts each!
6. Over the last 130 years, doctors and researchers have made huge strides in the treatment of heart disease. The first open-heart surgery occurred in 1893, the first pacemaker was implanted in 1958, and the first heart transplant took place in 1967. Now, doctors use robots to complete minimally invasive heart surgeries with improved outcomes.
7. Aronia berries are a heart-healthy fruit. They contain antioxidants and polyphenols that help your cardiovascular system (heart health). Aronia berries also support
In order to protect your body’s engine, the cardiovascular system, include Aronia berries in your daily diet. Superberries Aronia berry products are versatile enough to incorporate into your desserts, entrees, snacks, and beverages. Check out Superberries’ recipes for ideas about how to use Aronia berries. Your heart and family will thank you.